Monday, June 18, 2007

Traffic in Dubai

Traffic is the biggest problem that people are facing in Dubai. During office start and close timings the roads become like parking places. Very slow moving. I live in an apartment in Karama and my office is in Jebel Ali Free Zone. It around 40 km distance but it takes 1.5 hours to reach the office. And its even worse around 5 pm in the evening.

Now the government has planned to collect toll tax from the people that travel via sheikh zaid road (a popular road). It will be 4 dirhams per entry. A card will be attached on the car wind screen and the cameras will automatically deduct the amount when you pass by it.

Parking is also big problem. Commercial areas have paid parking, but there are some free parking areas as well. My apartment has a parking place but I dont have car :P because I am here temporarily for just 3 months.

Getting a car is easy. You can even get a reasonable second hand car in 4000 dirhams but getting the license is difficult. 40 driving classes before you enter the test. And there is already a waiting period of 2 months.

Anyways, I travel by bus, The Limousine Lorry Lease, so I dont have to worry about the license, parking and toll fee. But to visit places, car is a MUST, because taxi is very costly here.

No comments: